One of my favourite things to do during every holiday season is bake. There’s nothing better than the smell of perfectly baked cookies on a cool autumn day, cup of tea in hand. Sometimes you just need a little pick me up or a treat for a halloween party – my go to is usually anything you can easily eat with your hands.
I’ve tried so many different recipes for sugar cookies over the years but they’ve always fallen short. This recipe definitely checks all the boxes – soft, crumbly and easy to cut into shapes. I hope you enjoy it as much as my family did!
Halloween Sugar Cookies
- 2¼ cup all purpose flour
- ¾ cup cornstarch
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Line two baking sheets and set aside.
- In a large bowl combine flour, cornstarch, salt and baking powder. Set aside.
- In a separate dish add butter and sugar and mix well using electric mixer, medium speed, until it’s light and fluffy. Add an egg and vanilla, mix until combined.
- Continue mixing and slowly add dry ingredients. Knead it well with your hands, the dough will be crumbly.
- Roll the dough up to ¼ inch thick. Cut it in round shapes. I used there Halloween Cookie Cutters from Amazon.
- Place cookies on cookie sheet about 1 inch apart and bake for 8-9 minutes. Take them out of the oven and leave to cool on the baking sheets for 2-3 minutes.
- Transfer to wire rack to cool completely, store in an airtight container.
Original recipe from Sweet Spicy Kitchen.